Flash Chip Types - SLC, MLC and TLC
When deciding what type of flash to use for an application, it is important to understand the differences between flash technologies.
The following explains the pros and cons of the three types of flash, SLC, MLC and TLC.
SLC- Single Layer Cell
* High performance
* Lower power consumption
* Faster write speeds
* 100,000 program/erase cycles per cell
* Higher cost
* A good fit for industrial grade devices, embedded systems, critical applications.
MLC- Multi Layer Cell
* Lower endurance limit than SLC
* 10,000 program/erase cycles per cell
* Lower cost
* A good fit for consumer products. Not suggested for applications which require frequent update of data.
TLC- Three Layer Cell
* Higher density
* Lower endurance limit than MLC and SLC
* TLC has slower read and write speeds than conventional MLC
* 5,000 program/erase cycles per cell
* Best price point
* A good fit for low-end basic products. Not suggested for critical or important applications at this time which require frequent updating of data.